They Lost Their Vision After Showering In Contact Lenses

They Lost Their Vision After Showering In Contact Lenses

A scary warning to wearers of contacts to take them out earlier than showering or swimming.

Two UK sufferers have been left legally blind in a single eye after contracting an uncommon parasitic eye infection linked to water, studies Live Science. A 41-year-old lady described two months of ache, blurry vision, and light sensitivity in her left eye before doctors found a defect in her cornea, based on a report in the New England Journal of Medicine.

The lady was finally diagnosed with Acanthamoeba keratitis, a parasitic infection “commonest in individuals who put on contact lenses,” based on the CDC. It describes threat factors including improper handling and “swimming, using a hot tub, or showering while wearing lenses.”

The lady ultimately obtained a partial cornea transplant, which barely improved her vision.

Nick Humphrey is awaiting the identical process on his right eye. “If I get my sight back I’ll never put on contacts again,” the 29-year-old says, per Fox News. He contracted Acanthamoeba keratitis in 2018 after frequently showering with contact lenses.

“I’d get up, pop my lenses in, and head to the gym before work, then I’d jump in the shower before heading to the workplace,” he says.

He’s working with charity Fight for Sight to warn others that this “can happen due to one thing as simple as getting in the shower.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *